1) While completing an interdisciplinary degree in Mathematical Physics with a minor in Computer Science, my first computer work was with the University CDC 6400 in the late 1960s and early 1970s. This had to be done at the Computer Center or one of the campus terminals. Programs and data were put on punch cards one line to a card (total 80 characters). The deck was then handed to an input box. There were information clerks (knowledgeable students) to help. The first work was computer language courses.
We learned Cobol Algol, Symbol, Snobol, Lisp, Fortran and more.
I want on to do some computer modeled research in a simple lumped parameter nuclear model in "Many Body Theory". I showed my research to Prof. Hall the Physics department Chairman and the department funded my computer account. This work was done in Fortran in the late 60's on the University CDC 6400.
I started teaching High School Physics in 1972 and did a Masters Degree Project "A Computerized System For Course Record Keeping Grading And Evaluation". This also was done on the University computer with cards and Fortran.
2) As soon as Radio Shack came out with personal computers I bought one (about 1980). This used the Basic computer language if I remember correctly.
3) Then IBM came out with personal computers. I was the forth in Buffalo, New York to take delivery. As a physics teacher, during summer vacation, I continued to work on particle theory and needed a screen program to show the dynamics of a slice of a vortex as part of visualizing the model. There was a need for rapid screen change and the raster for the screen display was very complicated that no windows program had been invented. In 1981 I solved the problem of windows in a higher level language called BASIC. It was submitted and published in the Spring 1982. Higher level means that each word is a complete program in assembly language. The actual instruction to the computer are binary words but the assembly language give symbolic representation to the binary instructions.
During the summer of 1982 I completed and submitted an assembly language version of windows that I created for the earlier higher level solution. This was rejected by Creative Computing for being to technical and systems specific. Later that month Microsoft published a version of my program as their own. You can see my original return post marked documents in the Synthesis.
4) Then Apple gained dominance in education (the Assembly Language was easier and led to more rapid software development. Our school got Apple computers. I kept working at home on IBM until the early 1990s and then switched my school work to Apple and got the first in a series of up grades starting about 1989 till I retired in 2000.
5) About 1998 or 1999 I went back to Windows based machine and with much travel turned to portables.
6) In 2005 I started connecting to the University again. My wife and I met the Department Chairperson and partitioned for on line use of the Department Computers to reestablish my "many body research" on nuclear models.
7) In 2006 I bought a used IBM lap top to use with the Linux work connecting to the University.
At the time of this editing, of my web site in 2009-10-21, I have been working on the web site since 2006 and not worked on Physics.
With a postulated Ontology foundation, communication skills of mathematics, logic and computer language; we need a computer and programming software. We need these to implement computerized models that show a moving picture of our physical reality. See Diagram 29, "Need Communication Skills"
In the summer of 2005 I started redoing my nuclear model work on the Physics Department computers at SUNY AB. That has gone well but needs more work on graphical display. I hope to find the time and help to implement my original assembly language windows subroutines first sent for publication in 1982.
It is clear that we need Cosmological Postulates, Logic and Computer Language to implement our Mathematical Models for space, matter and motion. See Diagram 29, "Need Computers & Software".
I am in Stavropol Region, Russia. I have lived here Spring and Fall for 12 years. In 2007 the three young men tortured and murdered for printing Bible in Turkey (about 500 miles from here). This got my attention and I started studying the Koran, following and cataloguing Islamic Terrorism.
Today I realize the spreading of news about Islam and Islamic Terror is according to the Koran.
4:56 (As for) those who disbelieve in Our communications, We shall make them enter fire; so oft as their skins are thoroughly burned, We will change them for other skins, that they may taste the chastisement; surely Allah is Mighty, Wise.
As I am writing Olga came from getting farmers milk in the court yard. The lady administrator for our 72 apartment building told Olga that after they found tons of explosives not far from here in our North Caucasian Federal District, that we needed to keep the entry doors locked.